03-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
That was my thought as well. New cars in the UK seem to have astronomically high prices, but there must also be some massive depreciation when looking at the used prices in the UK. There's no way you would find a Z4 around here for $7,000. You could find some older Z3's at that price point. Used Boxsters would probably cost even more.

The recent Top Gear also had three cars bought at 1,500 GBP, which is about $2,235. Those cars were a BMW E39 528i touring, Subaru WRX wagon (bugeye model), and a Volvo 850R wagon. All three are pretty nice older cars, and would still command higher used prices in the US unless they had any serious issues.
At least you are not in Canada where we seem to have astronomical new car prices - AND minimal depreciation, at least on nice machines like BMWs.

Now I should qualify that statement. Over the weekend, my wife spied a new X3 28i in the parking lot of the local dealer. For fun, we went in and got a quote. And to compare, I priced one on BMW's web site, as closely as I could, recognizing that the packages are different. I was surprised to see a price difference of only about $4500. Now, to buy the US car, i would have to spend money on a plane ticket, hotel for a night or two, gas, a ferry crossing to my province (yup, I live on Gilligan's Island), BMW recall letter, RIV import fee, and probably a customs broker. That could be $2800 in total. I would only be better off by about $1700 and while the US car gets warranty in Canada, i don't think it would qualify for the 4 years maintenance included part, adn I probably coulsd not buy an extended warranty from BMW that would apply in Canada. So, surprisingly, the Canadian price on an X3 ain't so bad when compared to the US.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-12-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0