04-08-2017, 03:54 AM   #47
MPLICIT
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4MC S65B40A Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Yes I know you're sleeving it.
But did you do any porosity checking, pressure testing, xray testing (or ultrasonic) on microcracks?
Did you measure alignment of bearing bores etc?
I dont read any of that. Just that you bought a hydrolocked block that has weld marks all over it and you're going to sleeve it.

I think you're taking a considerable risk on an (I imagine) expensive build from an engineering perspective as you're also gonna force feed it to way beyond factory spec.
Obviously I have no insight of how much you're going to spend (or save with this block) and how deep your pockets are. Those are all private considerations.
You do have a valid point about some of the considerable risk but I think I solved that issue today when I just picked up a new engine. I'll grab yet another block that is in better shape as well so nothing holds up this build. Here's what I've figured out in life: paying good money once is better than paying more money twice

UPDATE

Alright kids, here's the deal. I know you don't want to see this project fall to the way side and take months. My stroker kit is being manufactured, block getting machined and sleeved, and still working out my SCer system, but I don't want to leave you all without updates for MONTHS while I wait for the motor build to finish and then drop it in the car. Instead, I decided today I would go buy an S65 that is already assembled so I can get it in the car and get you guys some cool burn out videos! I'll have the S54 out of the car this weekend and by next weekend I'll have the S65 running in the car with any luck.

If any of you guys want the old S54 let me know. The bottom end will need a rebuild but the rest is fine. Transmission can go as well.

In addition to grabbing the new motor I did a little more work on some of my parts for the motor builds. I'll grab more pics soon.

2011 Space Gray + Fox Red ///M3 Coupe
ESS VT2-650, Bilstein PSS10 Coils, AP Racing BBK, Recaro Seats, CF Roof, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0