View Single Post
      05-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #98
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

So here is my recap of the event held 2 weeks ago at Calabogie

It was a race academy. So things were a bit different from lapping days or Club schools (ADS or HPDE).

After an evening of theory classes, we were ready for track sessions on Saturday morning. Temperature was great.

7 sessions of 30 minutes per day for 2 days. So I was very tired at the end.
Every session they added some different things.

The school doesn't use a point by system so you need to respect your surroundings.

Group exercises (controlled passing)
passing on one straight on one side only
passing in every long straight
passing either side on long straights
passing on every straight as small as it may appear

They were also adding all kinds of flags to test our knowledge of them. They dropped stuff on the track for us to avoid, they sent emergency vehicles so we had to compose with them as if we were in a race situation. They sent the pace car also so we knew when to pass it or when to get back in formation behind it.

Last session of the 2nd day, we did a mock rolling start with pace car and then they gave us a yellow for a short bit on the lap (to make sure everyone settles from the start) and then all out (not a race) with no point by passing everywhere your car is going straight.

It was fun and I learned a lot.

My brakes were bad on half of Saturday as some compound was cooked on the disks. Lots of shaking. It got better at the end of Saturday and I had no trouble on Sunday.

Sessions were 30 minutes on track, 20 minutes debrief, 10 minute rest and prepare, and back out for another 30 minutes... and so on.
Appreciate 0