05-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
pallaire
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2003 2.5i

Head unit replacement ... HELP ... its not working

Hello guys,

I have a BWM Z4 2.5i 2003, I bought it used last summer. My BMW headunit was having problems and I wanted to have a real iPod/iPhone connection so I wanted to change my radio.

I have looked at many tutorials, many videos and I am a bit lost. Looks like every Z4 is different!!!

I was successful at :

1. Opening the Central Vent
2. Unplug the original unit
3. Plug my new unit

Result: no sounds ... but unit is working (ie have power)

So I have done more research, I have read that if the car have an amplifier, I may need to go by RCA cables instead of the original connectors ? Do my car have an audio amplifier ?

When I did the connection of the new head unit to the Scosche adpater, I followed to color code of the wires. but when I look at the back of both connectors (cars and apapter) I can see some mismatches !!!

So what would be the main source of my problem ? bad wire mapping or do I need to go through the amp ? photos following

Looking for an AMP:

There is nothing plugged behind the carpet in the trunk:

Is this an amplifier next to my battery ?

If so ... How am I supposed to plug RCA Cables into that unit?

Wire color mapping:

The green circle shows connectors that are connected in the the headunit by the Scosche adapter but those connections goes no where in the car. And the Pink circle are use by the car but not on the Scoche adapter

This is the connection:

So finally ...

If I do indeed have an amplifier ... how do I connect to it ?

If its only an adapter color code problems, where can I find the information on HOW to connect to it ?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0