10-29-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
As for the open lug nut, one other advantage I see is that if you have a deep enough socket/key, you could technically still secure the lug nut onto an otherwise extended stud. i.e. maybe the lug nut is recessed into the wheel bolt holes, and some of the stud protrudes out beyond the lug nut, etc.
I personally had extended Volk duralug nuts, and the reason for the extended ones was due to the fact that I put extended studs on in case I needed to use spacers, etc. and I needed to make sure that the lug nuts would fit regardless of what setup I ended up using. If I had gone with the no-spacer setup, the studs would stick out quite a bit, and with a non-extended closed lug nut, the lug may bottom out before actually securing the wheel on, etc.
I sorta get what you're saying but wouldn't any open lug nut work for extended studs?

I'll most likely be going with a 75mm (extended) stub so I know what you mean about the studs sticking out far without the use of spacers - I'll only be using spacers in the rear and even that will only be 5mm thick. So you're saying bet open tuner lugs vs generic open lugs is that the tuner ones will be longer, so the studs won't stick out as far? But functionally they're both the same?