06-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissArmy View Post
Hey pokey!

I will test the sensor. But, what is the likelihood that the two sensors I bought for the passenger side are both bad. It sucks that BMW does not accept electrical parts for refund/exchange. They were about $140CAD/each from the dealership.

I will swap it back to the other sensor (the one where it DID detect speed on my snap-on scanner).

I still think it's the SAS since that code does come with it too. I will try doing an SAS reset.

Also, after installing the ABS sensors, is there any reset procedure other than driving it around for a bit (I've driven for about 2 months lol). Also, do I need to unplug the battery before installing the new sensors? I installed the driver and passenger side while the battery was still plugged in.

I'll order a new SAS just in case.
I had similar codes pop up on my 3.0si last year. The steering angle sensor had some king of processing glitch and locked up, also locking up the bus that it shares with the instrument cluster. I had ABS codes, the turn signals were acting strangely, and controls on the radio only partially worked. Just reprogramming the SAS fixed it all. Looking back, one thing I didn't try but should have was disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes or so to let everything fully discharge, and then reconnecting so that all the processors did a cold boot. I didn't think to try that at the time......
You've got nothing to lose by trying this. Even if the reboot doesn't do it, you might see if you can find a shop to reload the software into the SAS. Cost $150 at the dealer. The steering angle sensor isn't too bad (about $200), but you've got to pull the steering column to replace it.