View Single Post
      03-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
wiliulfo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Unless you get really lucky I think 5k is not reasonable for a 3.0.
You may get lucky but more than likely at that price there will be many thousands $$ worth of maintenance and new parts required to bring to standard.
Cooling system and suspension come to mind of what I had to replace immediately.
+1

I would also add, get a pre-purchase inspection done and don't buy the first car you find!

In October 2016 I picked up a 2003 automatic 3.0i with 121k miles. I didn't know much about these cars other than I REEEEEEALLY wanted one. So I drove from So. Cal to Vegas where I did a visual inspection and agreed to buy the car for $5.5k after a 10 minute test drive.

Since then, I've probably dropped another $2k - $3k on a newer (working) convertible top, 2x thermostats, newer suspension, spark plugs, oil sensors, a front bumper refresh, new stereo, and various odds and ends.

If I were to go through the process again, I would probably have budgeted about $10k, and would have looked for a 2006+ manual..

Nevertheless, it's been very enjoyable getting to work on this thing and getting to know the M54 engine...

Good luck on your search!
Appreciate 0