02-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #12
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
It's a delicate balance on stiffening the suspension. The effect on a given car is dependent on the suspension of a given car, and comparing effects of suspension changes on a FWD car vs a RWD car can be incorrect. On the Z4 if you go really stiff on the front, you'll get a lot more under steer because the suspension can't do it's job. Reducing body roll somewhat helps distribute the load on the front tires a bit so you get some reductions in under steer. As I indicated earlier, it's nothing dramatic, but it's an improvement. One other thing you can try which will help with the under steer is change from the stock 225/40 x 18 front tires to 255/35 x 18 size. It's a slight pinch fit, but you do gain some added contact patch area which will increase front grip a bit.
Sounds like it's just a matter of testing and seeing what size works. So it's a trade off between body roll and lateral grip to a certain extent? Don't some RWD guys run with no RSB to give them more grip in the rear at the expense of increased body roll?

And I should have mentioned, I have different wheels/tires. 245/40/18x9 up front and 275/35/18x10 in the rear. Tires are BFG Rival. I should have gotten a square setup but am worried about the limited amount of tire that can be fit up front.
Appreciate 0