View Single Post
      02-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post
Interesting. I thought that a stiffer bar decreases roll but gives you less grip on that end? For example when FWD guys put on a stiff rear bar, they have less roll but less grip at the rear to give them more oversteer. Or do I have that mixed up?

I'm still developing my skills for sure. I was able to take 1st place in my class for the 2014 season so I'm hopefully heading in the right direction. This season there are some faster guys joining the class so I have a lot of work to do.
It's a delicate balance on stiffening the suspension. The effect on a given car is dependent on the suspension of a given car, and comparing effects of suspension changes on a FWD car vs a RWD car can be incorrect. On the Z4 if you go really stiff on the front, you'll get a lot more under steer because the suspension can't do it's job. Reducing body roll somewhat helps distribute the load on the front tires a bit so you get some reductions in under steer. As I indicated earlier, it's nothing dramatic, but it's an improvement. One other thing you can try which will help with the under steer is change from the stock 225/40 x 18 front tires to 255/35 x 18 size. It's a slight pinch fit, but you do gain some added contact patch area which will increase front grip a bit.