02-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
No (or at least not documented), but you could run the stock (non m) front control arm rear bushings. I don't know if that's allowed.

Or... you could rotate the z4m bushings (these are eccentric bushings, so by pressing them in another position in the lollypops)
If you rotate them 180 deg that might be too much.
I don't know if that has any other averse effects. The rear of the control arm sits maybe 1/2" lower then (or higher).
Then you're working with 100% z4m parts.
Interesting, I will look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
the car looks like a mini muscle car hustling around that narrow circuit!! awesome,

what suspension is on the car, body roll looks quite high, if not on a proper set of coilovers i think this would do wonders for you as you pick up a decent amount of adjustability too.
It is quite fun! Suspension is 100% stock right now. Don't want move to coilovers because it will change me to a different class with my club, which will put me up against race-prepped cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The body roll on the stock suspension tends to put a high loading on the outside front tire. A stiffer front sway will help the under steer a little bit as it will reduce the loading on the outside tire. It won't be dramatic, but it will help. Installing some Koni or Bilstein struts/shocks will give increased damping and will reduce transient body roll also. Outside that, it's tuning the driver.

That being said, you can make any car under steer if you're hard on the brakes and turning sharply at the same time. A little bit of braking to load the front end to help with initial turn in is good, but then you have to be off the brakes and try to roll through the turn so both ends of the car can share the load. It takes some experimenting (and some cone killing) but once you get it down you'll see your times drop. A more advanced technique is to use throttle cut over steer to get the car to start rotating before you get to the turn so there's less turning to do in the turn. This takes a LOT of practice, and you'll have some awesome spins during the learning process, but once you get it down you should see a dramatic drop in your times.
Interesting. I thought that a stiffer bar decreases roll but gives you less grip on that end? For example when FWD guys put on a stiff rear bar, they have less roll but less grip at the rear to give them more oversteer. Or do I have that mixed up?

I'm still developing my skills for sure. I was able to take 1st place in my class for the 2014 season so I'm hopefully heading in the right direction. This season there are some faster guys joining the class so I have a lot of work to do.
Appreciate 0