05-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Vir 5/18 - 5/20 2012

This was a three day PCA event and it was a very good event.

This was also my first track outing since my 'track issue' back in Nov. Since this was the case, I deliberately put myself back a run group so I could have an instructor in the car. Even though he signed me off the first day it was advantageous because he showed my where I was unbalancing the car due to how I was coming off of the brakes and how to manage my tires when they started to get a little greasy..

I don't normally record lap times. I just want to go have fun so I don't drive flat out all the time. I usually do one 'hot lap' a day. But for some reason my buddy did record my hottest lap. 2:21 a damn good time..even for prepped cars.

This on a totally stock car with street tires (NT05's) and combination street/track (if there is such a thing) brakes... I now think that I am getting the most out of the car without any go fast parts bolted on....

If I want to go faster, I need dedicated track tires (NT01's maybe) and a dedicated racing pad. We will see. Not sure I want to go that direction. Still thinking of a dedicated track car and that has the wife's seal of approval.

My entrance speed into the uphill 'S's' is around 110Mph. 115 and I am uncomfortable. Speeds on both straights is around 135Mph. I can go faster but it really is not worth it.

I did find that the Porsche's lines through the turns is different than a BMW. It is more of a sweeping line.

We also had an Audi RS8. Wicked fast on the straights but slower in the turns.

We had two major track incidents. A GT3 damaged his entire right side out of turn four (4) and a E46M3 was totaled. For some reason the instructor was driving.....

I was also running two different sets of experimental brake pad formula's from a major brake manufacture. I did not like the first formula but did like the second one.. No, I will not disclose who it is.

Enjoy.

I use my buddies GoPro for some video action.

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to embed a youtube video..

Here is a video of the camera mounted on the front splitter. It shows my controlled 'off'. I just knew I was not going to make it so I did not try. Randy called me the Lawnmower man....

Here the camera is mounted outside on the windshield. I removed the audio.

And this one is from inside the car. As you can see, I still need to get just a tad bit smoother on the steering input. Not much though.

Appreciate 0