04-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxangel View Post
Aha, ok, well I actually replaced number 7, 8, and 2. They were in pretty bad shape. Number one is in perfect condition and it is called a flange.
yea that’s the problem with these things, the dealer calls them a "guibo" not sure of the spelling it’s a name brought back from the e30 days of your, so the technical term is another matter

on the other hand they do happen to look perfectly fine as when they start to separate they only do so under stress and torque. mine also looked fine on the 3 series, but after removing it and flexing it the tear showed up, their rubber after all. Plus you said the otehr parts where in ruff condition so its possable it could have something to do with it. depending on their state of damage the vibration can go from a small vibration to a very ruff violent vibration. its still a young car so it may be fine but stranger things do happen. does the vibration accelerate with speed or is it a very fast and constant vibration that does not change with speed?

A test you could try is while the car is off the ground put it in drive and start the operation as if you where on the road to see if the vibration returns, then unhook the drive shaft and repeat and see if the vibration is coming from other factors, if the drive shaft is removed and the vibration is still their then it’s a safe bet it’s in the transmission. but you may need torque to make the vibration come into play, have no idea. I’m just thinking of how you could trace the problem.
Appreciate 0