View Single Post
      04-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #36
v8z4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Magic... one question though, probably stupid, but hey..

your engine mounts, look great as does the support alu brackets.. but. are they in direct connection with the frame? any rubber there in-between them? how will this support all the torque coming from the engine, won't this transfer all of that directly to the frame?

once more mate, please pardon my ignorance.

looks bloody awesome though
Been super busy and somehow missed your question.

Yes, direct connection to the frame. The engine is mounted by two plates, a 3/8" aluminum front plate (front of the block) and a 1/4" steel mid-plate (sandwiched between the block and transmission bellhousing). Both of these plates are bolted to 1/4" steel tabs welded to the frame (frame is first reinforced with 1/4" plate then tabs weld to the frame to prevent flexing/stressing the frame tubing).

Yes, all of the torque goes directly into the frame (where it should go). This is what pro-stock and high-HP dragsters use as it removes all of the stress from the cylinder block walls (doesn't twist the block) and is SIGNIFICANTLY stronger/stiffer/easier on the body (not to mention I won't be ripping any motor mounts off the BMW cross-member with this setup).

Instead of the engine hanging "off" the frame, it is now an integral part OF the frame. The front and mid-plates tie the frame rails together, effectively turning the rails into a boxed section. In addition, the motor is now part of that "box" so it adds rigidity to the frame as well. The result is an incredibly stiff frame section.

Vibration is always a concern with solid mounts, but with a properly balanced engine it's negligible. A number of years ago I had a 4th gen Camaro with this same motor plate setup and vibration was less than the stock 5.7 engine with rubber mounts. As an added benefit, the engine being tied to the frame does not allow it to torque over ANY so there is no "slap torque" (where the engine twists, loads up the rubber mounts, and then yanks the body). It's incredibly smooth application of power.