gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Beedub in regards to the plugs just do a quick search of E46 M3 guys with FI at 500hp and above and what plugs they use. Also VF, AA , VAC ,Bimmerworld etc. and pretty much every other manufacturer recommends colder plugs for our boost level on the S54. With the stock plugs you ARE going to loose power in the upper rpm range because of knock especially on track. The bottom line is I drive my car a bit harder than most and you really can't compare European conditions to the Southern US in the summer. And 24 degrees Celsius is frigging winter here . This past day where i had temp issues you would have as well I guarantee it. It was 95 degrees F (35 C) and 85% humidity. Oil temps were up into the 255 range in only 3 minutes of track driving with water temps in the red. Our ECU's are extremely sensitive to oil and water temps , race gas or no. Also we do have different kits so I'm just letting people know what needs to be done to get a 525 car reliable on track ideally with 93 octane in my corner of the world. Honestly I wish i had just upgraded my fuel pump in the VT-1 set up i had at this point bc it was a killer on track with my M6 custom oil cooler and damn reliable too. I dream of the good old days when i'd have a limp every two track days not every two laps . The good news is I've gotten really slick at cutting the car off and restarting it at 140 mph
hmmmm maybe in my region the setup is just perfect... good luck on your quest.... let me know on the cooler plugs BUT still drop ess a line and post up the repsonse, that would be awesome!!
Beedub , check out this article from NGK our OEM plug provider, it will put you on the same page. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp . Essentially going up one temp range on a plug lowers cylinder temps 70-100 C , Since I have knock , retarded timing , and high temps on track along with the fact our motors are high compression, high rpm and now high boost , the decision is easy. ESS likely doesn't do colder plugs bc they build and test their cars in Norway ( Its really cold their a lot )Roman agrees with me that for my usage pattern and location it's a good idea as the reduction in cylinder temps will reduce knock and actually increase my power by allowing the ecu to advance timing. The reason you don't run a colder plug stock is if the cylinder temp is too low < 500C ( ideal is 500-700) you have increased carbon fouling of the plug and then incomplete burn. With FI at 8+ PSI , a 8k redline and a high compression ratio there is no way we have a low cylinder temp issue ( even you in England lol)
George
Appreciate 0