View Single Post
      06-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #67
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
No winning involved here. I just was a little confused based on MY experiances. Remember, every car is a little different.

I have been using Redline 10W60 for the last two oil changes. I have also been adding a bottle of ZDDPlus to bring the anti-wear ZDDP levels (Zinc and Phosphorus) up.

I just switched to Redline 15W50. (I hear the ‘BMW Engineers know better than you’ Nazi’s with their pitchforks and torches moving toward me now…..)
At a Porsche event at VIR last month, James Clay was there all three days. He was being a personal driving coach for someone. I did not ask how much THAT cost……

We had a discussion about oil for the S54B32 engine. His comments specifically said that he and his tech boys at Bimmerworld are seeing better bearing wear on the S54 using a 50 weight oil. Like I said in a previous post, my on track temps are 5-10’ cooler with the 50 weight oil than with a 60 weight.

My car has 38,000 miles on it. I received the Blackstone report last week. My ‘Lead’ level was at a staggering 43PPM and ‘Iron’ was at 17PPM. Remember, this report has been on 10W60.

I am concerned but not ‘going out of my mind’ like some on this board would do. There are several things that could cause this spike in lead other than bearing wear. I just have to wait and see. Just be to sure and to have all my duck in a row, I have talked to Randy Forbes and my local guy on doing a bearing replacement.

I plan doing another oil sample at 3000miles to see what the delta’s are.
I used Castrol 10w60 with redline additive until 58,000 mile mark when i decided to replace my bearings with a similar report showing high lead.The picture below is what I found. I am now using Motul 300 V 15w50 I will post my next wear analysis with my new treated bearings as I think I'm certainly one of the hardest on his engine . I would seriously not wait and see, bearing replacement is cheap easy and needed on a tracked S54 even at your mileage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0