View Single Post
      03-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedZ4 View Post
Thanks for this write up! About how long should this take? I don't have a garage so I'd hopefully be doing this all in my drive. I saw a guy in the UK now claims he can do these relocations in about 10 minutes, I'm sure it will be hours for me. He can also make the original motor come back to life, won't give any details on how for either, though, unfortunately.
I did the motor relocate while I was doing a top canvas, headliner, hydraulic cylinder, hydraulic pump replacement so I don't have a good estimate for doing just the pump relocate. Having had the top off the car a couple times now, I believe I could do the relocate without having to remove the top assembly, but I think it would take me a couple hours to do. There's a fellow in Germany that does the same thing as the UK chap, and I think they're quick because they don't make a clearance slot for the hydraulic lines. They just let them run through the seam where the tray holder meets the plastic for the drain funnel. The hydraulic lines are pretty stoutly built and what they do is probably OK, but I didn't like that idea which is why I faced the pump to the rear of the car and made the clearance slot for the lines. I was determined the top is not coming off the car again and a damaged hydraulic line requires a top removal if it's on the passenger side. (With the motor relocated there's room on the driver side to get to where the hydraulic lines attach to the lift cylinder.)