View Single Post
      12-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
I just did the valve cover gasket(VCG), oil filter housing gasket(OFHG), spark plugs, vanos rebuild and CCV with hoses. Last winter during a really cold spell for us (highs in the 20s) my VCG and OFHG starting seeping oil. I think it was due to the CCV freezing and pressurizing the crankcase. Over the summer the VCG started dripping on the exhaust manifold so it was time to replace it. With age and 100k it was time to do everything and I wanted to do it before winter.

Rebuilding the double vanos with the Beisan kit was the easiest part of the job, once I had it on the bench. Their instructions are easy and spot on. The CCV was the worst job due to the limited space under the intake manifold. I replaced it with the winter version and winter hoses(insulated). The old hoses were really brittle. I used all BMW parts with the exception of the Beisan vanos seals and NGK spark plugs.

Total time was a solid 8 hours, including an oil change. The VCG near the exhaust manifold was far from supple and that's where it was leaking. I also replaced all the seals under the VC nuts.

The car has much more off idle pep now and also doesn't stumble after starting when cold. I attribute this to the vanos rebuild. The vanos pistons where pretty loose in their bore. The spark plugs looked pretty good, but since I was in there, I replaced them anyway.
Appreciate 0