View Single Post
      05-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
For you, simple answer... just find a clean e46 323i and that will be your family friendly car! (Btw thought you had a wrx?)
I did. The '09 WRX Wagon came closest to eliciting some sort of emotional attachment of all the other cars I've owned, and I've owned quite a few.

I was excited to buy the WRX. Got a fantastic deal on it. Enjoyed the crap out of it, both daily driving and on track. Took it to all the local tracks, dry and wet. On slicks and street tires. It was especially fun at Laguna Seca because it was far more comfortable to drive long distance than the MZ4 Coupe. Best part was it kept up with all the M3s at the time while costing a fraction new, and had enough space and practicality to swallow a ton of stuff on road trips. In fact, we took it camping several times.

If I didn't have the MZ4 Coupe in my garage, I would have been emotionally attached to the WRX. It was rock solid and ticks off all of my "requirement" for a car love affair. The only down-side was, for a daily driver it consumed gasoline disproportionately (I averaged 21mpg on mostly highway driving, not much better than the MZ4 Coupe) during a time where gasoline reached $5.xx per gallon in California, and the Missus complained incessantly about the boy-racer exhaust I put on (there's a joke to be inserted in here, but I won't do it). On what amounts to a 2-2.5 hour spent a day in the car, it got tiresome quick. That's probably the reason why I haven't touched the exhaust on the MZ4 Coupe yet, and probably never will.

It's kinda like the nerdy girl you dated earlier in life, not the hottest you've slept with, but GREAT in bed...But just not "hot" enough to continue the relationship with. Occasionally you think back and reminisce, but don't miss her enough to drunk dial.

There are a few others in my carlationships of the past that should have stood out, but didn't for all the wrong reasons. I think the WRX just got "dumped" because I was already dating the MZ4 Coupe, which is very hard to measure up to.

I hope you will enjoy the MZ4R. I think you will. That open top experience is the ONLY thing I miss about the MZ4 Coupe, coming from the Z3 and the Z4 3.0i.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0