Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
increased copper levels indicate that you have passed through some of the lead.
.....definitely time to do the bearings at that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
Copper going up usually indicates that the bearings have probably worn past the first layer of bearing material and starting to go through the copper layer underneath.

If you had used Techron or other fuel system cleaner during that oil change interval that can also effect results. You need to monitor for more than one analysis. My first Blackstone report showed 22 ppm lead. I had a slightly high oil level (just a hair above the line), and did a Techron treatment. My next sample was 8 ppm then 5 ppm and my last was 3 ppm.

One of the more important things is to not rev too high before engine oil temp is up to normal operating temp. I don't rev above 4k until oil temp is about 10 o'clock (half way between dash and 210). My oil change interval is 5,000 miles.

One high oil sample does not mean you need bearings right away. I would do a few samples and if they are consistently high while being careful, then do the bearings.
I learned something new today!
Jim, thanks for the advice. I definitely used Techron last year. I will stay away from is and see what happens. Also, if I shorten the oil change interval to 5k which I always did with exception of last year, would that throw off numbers? I would think yes but not by much.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0