View Single Post
      03-21-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Copper going up usually indicates that the bearings have probably worn past the first layer of bearing material and starting to go through the copper layer underneath.

If you had used Techron or other fuel system cleaner during that oil change interval that can also effect results. You need to monitor for more than one analysis. My first Blackstone report showed 22 ppm lead. I had a slightly high oil level (just a hair above the line), and did a Techron treatment. My next sample was 8 ppm then 5 ppm and my last was 3 ppm.

One of the more important things is to not rev too high before engine oil temp is up to normal operating temp. I don't rev above 4k until oil temp is about 10 o'clock (half way between dash and 210). My oil change interval is 5,000 miles.

One high oil sample does not mean you need bearings right away. I would do a few samples and if they are consistently high while being careful, then do the bearings.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0