View Single Post
      04-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #32
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Looks like you're making good progress pokey! Looking forward to your efforts on the M front. I'll check the number on the connector and see if I can do some research on sourcing it so it is truly plug-and-play.

I should say, I'd be most interested in a system that makes it so the passenger airbag(s) deploy. Not sure I understood your post correctly but it seems like you're angling to have the "airbag off" light be illuminated? Wouldn't that mean that the airbag(s) on the passenger side would never deploy? I'm pretty sure this is what the OC3 simulator available from EAS already does. I want to err on the side of caution with airbags and would rather them deploy even if no one is actually in the seat. Now, if it had a switch that'd simulate the seat being either occupied or not occupied, well, that'd be awesome!

So, a word of caution... it's very important to get the resistance right. I know that seems obvious but check out what happened to me...

As I've mentioned, the mat and control box I used on my '06 Z4M was from a pre-'04 Z4 and it didn't work out. The fault that was "resistance too high". Now here's the fascinating part: With the incorrect mat connected, my turn signals and rain sensing wipers and headlight ambient light detection were all VERY wonky. The turn signals would delay coming on or turning off. Turn signal clicks would get skipped or double up. The headlights were at times unresponsive to ambient light (or lack thereof). The rain sensing wipers were also, at times, non-functional. So, given that the mat was the only thing new since the issues started showing, I pulled the plug on the mat and all was well!

In other words, that incorrect resistance (and subsequent fault) was wreaking havoc on other, seemingly unrelated, electrical systems.

Last edited by JCz04Bimmer; 04-23-2011 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0