View Single Post
      05-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
t0pless
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0

These aren't a "bad" batch of OEM springs. These are prone to breaking especially in areas with salt as the paint on the springs tend to crack and the elements wear away at the metal. Every picture I've seen, including mine, are all broken in the same exact place- about a quarter coil on the bottom half of the spring.

If you're replacing your rear springs, you don't have to replace the fronts. You shouldn't also feel obligated to switch out shocks along with the rears because they can be very separate jobs compared to the McPherson-styled fronts.

Knowing that the OEM style springs are determined to break, I highly recommend switching to a different manufacture. My car has been riding on broken springs for the two years I've owned it before I bought an ST lowering spring kit off of Amazon. It was a perfect match as the rear drop remained virtually the same when compared to the "chopped" springs. The front remained about the same as my stock Sport Suspension.

With that being said, I do recommend a suspension refresh if the car asks for it. Entry-level coilovers DO NOT mean that it will perform better than lowering springs and shock/struts. By about 100k, I decided to do a suspension refresh. The front springs were shedding a little paint, but that's about it. If you haven't swapped the strut mounts, chances are they're cracked too as were mine. Lastly, the shocks weren't even completely blown as they all had just a little bit of rebound when compressed- a pretty big surprise to me.
Appreciate 0