View Single Post
      10-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle View Post
hmm. Someone here ran 285s on stock rims, thats why I was planning it. 275s should hopefully offer enough grip with the tires I want
Let me rephrase that. It will fit, but it won't work. When manufacturers suggest a specific rim width for a tire, it means they've tested the load placed on the sidewalls and the cords for that specific sidewall size and design and deemed that anything outside of that range of tires will end up placing unfavorable stress on the carcass and generate too much heat, resulting in unpredictable outcome. If you're familiar with the process in which tires are built, the "cords" in the tire's carcass is placed under tremendous stress as they're wound around on the base belt and sidewall, and placing the tire on wheels too small or too large for the intended use will "stretch" those nylon cords beyond their design parameters.

Even for a set of tires used ONLY for track, it's not a favorable solution because that 10mm extra width won't make up the difference in excess and constant load on the sidewall. And once the sidewalls start to get squeezed in, you may actually LOSE available contact patch instead of gain it from a wider tire.

This is a case where just because you can, doesn't mean you SHOULD, IMO.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0