View Single Post
      05-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

well first an M is not an option as this is my wife’s car and she does not enjoy driving a stick shift. I get to have fun driving it and modding it as well so I am making the most of it.

also with all the added cost over a normal n52 based car I’m not in favor of as well. (gas, parts, insurance)

plus I’m not racing it, just like the extra grunt!

so moving on, I see no reason to need the engine as the engine has no brain it’s just metal and wires, the engine is the same in every way to the SI except the computer, hence why I thought if I just replace the electronic devises then the car will think it’s an SI, not an I and behave as an SI.

if you take all parts that you can swap out and they all match up then technically you can run even tuned SI software getting closer to 270HP
with the lighter engine and such handling could be even better than an M with the proper additions, after all I think they even said the M handled worse than the Si on top gear hence you had to drive hard with the throttle and such. not sure.

so what you guys think, if I grabbed the key's, ignition cylinder, ECU and any other electronic brain and just swap it all you think it would just turn on as its receiving all the same info as if it was back in a SI.

again the engine I have has the SI parts installed just need the computer to think it’s an SI then I can run tuned SI numbers not tuned I numbers that get close to the SI hence making the car faster than a stock SI.

as you guys have noticed, winters here in the north are long and I have no problem messing around with the car as its in storage so this would could be a fun winter project.

is there any reason just taking all the electronics and swapping it over to another car won’t work, even the wiring is the same so I won’t have to rewire anything just plug in the new hardware.
Appreciate 0