View Single Post
      01-17-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar View Post
Yes I have read that write up. Interesting read.

Well i was getting a serious medium frequency when i would come down from 90-100 to 60 in the pedal and the wheel. So I took it to a very capable BMW only shop that I like using Broadstroke Associates and their tech drove it then put it up on the lift and we discussed the issue. They are where the warped rotor issue arose.

35000 miles on the car and never seen a track day. Now that being said, no track days means nothing because I drive pretty fast.

I will mic for thickness and put a feeler on them to check flatness. I know what warped rotors feel like historically speaking but have not done brakes on this car. Well more than a flush.
You need to rotate the rotor with the wheel off, but lug bolts in place with either a spacer or nut and washer under each bolt so they can be torqued to spec, then use a dial guage to measure the runout at the edge, middle and inner part of the brake surface. If the runout is more than 0.05mm over a full rotation, then the rotors are likely warped. Also, the thickness variation at a specific radial position should not vary by more than 0.01mm around the diameter, measured with a micrometer.
Appreciate 0