05-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #16
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
I think the point of their tests was to give a market contender

I've driven the Star Spec, but not the Ventus V12 (although I've driven plenty of miles on the street in the RS-3). This tire is designed more as a direct competitor to those tires and others in the "Extreme Performance" category, while providing exceptional mileage and low noise, while also lowering the price point.

Again this was simply my review of the event and my general impression. That being said I've driven and tested a ton of different cars,tires, etc on my own enough on both the street and at the track to know when a tire is decent. As an overall tire the PSS has me thoroughly impressed, TireRack is due to do their testing on them very soon as will many of the magazines, I'm sure their tests will be more objective for the doubters.

I also brought a good friend of mine who drives in Grand-Am with me, he was equally as impressed with them as a true street tire. Leh Keen also spoke very highly of them after running the One Lap on them, and after personally watching him click off a 1.55 at Daytona, the results speak for themselves.
I'm not saying it's a bad tire by any means. I just hate deceptive marketing BS like Michelin is pulling with this. GM did the same thing with the CTS-V. And why? There was no reason. The CTS-V is a great car that doesn't need a handicap to perform well. Likewise, the PS2 is a great tire (albeit very expensive), and doing something like this with its successor only hurts its image in my eyes. Honestly, if it can improve on the Star Spec/V12s, and get more mileage (most reviews have the Star Specs around 20k, the V12s aroung 25-30k), I'll be impressed. Price wise, it's still ridiculous. I just got my 265/35/18 V12s for $172 each. The PSS's are $288! The Dunlops are $263, and are known for being kinda pricey!

Edit: The other thing I'd like to point out is that pretty much all of these tires are "great." However, just being great doesn't cut it in this market, and neither does it prove the tire is better than the competition.
Appreciate 0