04-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #22
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelove View Post
Care to show a pic ? How much camber are you running ? I'd have to take a look at the sectional width of that specific tire but I know my current 9" wheels and 245 NT01s take up about all the room I can on the front with 2 degrees of camber. Can't imagine how I'd fit a 285 as I already need a 10mm spacer to clear my TCK Coilovers on the inside, but if it's possible love to see it (have a great source for 285 Hoosier take offs that I've always considered to be rear only).
I have about -1.5 degree camber (max with the alignment pins pulled out of the strut tops). In stock class, camber shims or camber plates are illegal.

Here's a photo from a recent autocross. They fit. The tires are 285-30 A6s in front and back on stock wheels. Rears have a 5mm spacer.

http://AZsolo.zenfolio.com/p379253514/e3ce0c1da

I don't have any close-up pics of the front tires, definitely not inside the wheel well. There is very little clearance between the tire and the strut body (a few mm). With camber shims, you'd probably need to add a front spacer.

Many coilovers give you way less space to fit a big tire, since you have to clear the spring, not just the strut body as with the stock setup. If I was running in street prepared class with coilovers, I would want to have 285s on 18x10 wheels up front. This would likely require application of either a fender roller or a cutting wheel to the wheel arch. Not interested in doing that while I still owe money on the car.

If I remember, I will take a couple of pictures inside the wheel well when I'm changing my tires at tomorrow's event.
Appreciate 0