04-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #118
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post
just seems like misjudging road conditions than speeding.
People keep on missing the point about this one. Speeding and misjuding the road conditions are very much related. You are much more likely to misjudge the road conditions when you speed because:

1. Everything happens faster and by the time you discover the conditions, you have less time to react,

2. If you lose control because of the misjudgement, you will do so at a higher speed and experience much more of an impact (kinetic energy is proporational to v^2).

Yes, it doesn't sound like he was doing anything wreckless (if he was, he most likely would have been arrested as that would be a criminal act), but it does seem like he was driving faster than he should.

I strongly disagree with pretty much the rest of your post. I already said it is about the attitude the thing invokes in people and not the thing itself. I sure am a different driver when I am in my Expedition as compared to my Z4M. And, no I am not talking about the mechanical limits of the Expedition being low. It is more than capable of cornering much much faster than I drive it and speeding. My attitude is simply different because the thing does not scream "I am made to go fast, and should be driven so!" at me. It says pretty much the opposite. In general, young people will have a harder time sorting that kind of thing out. I sure did.