View Single Post
      04-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #54
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I am really sorry about the person who is hurt. However, I can't help making the point that cars don't just lose traction and drive themselves off the road. If the road conditions are not entirely visible, if there are significant unknowns, then it is best to be conservative. When one loses control of the car, one can take others out with him/her--including people who might be in another car. I say this as someone who has been on both sides of the equation. I lost a family member in a traffic accident; the car travelling in the other direction lost control on an undivided highway. And, I hit a pedastrian in the dark while making a turn a long time ago. I was doing ~15mph, but should have been more careful regardless. Fortunately, the injuries were minor, but could have been much worse...Being in either sitaution is hell. Now, I am liberal only if I am on a wide road with lots of visibility, or on the track. Anyway, again, I really hope that the injured person recovers and people can move on...