View Single Post
      01-18-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
bol
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

You can keep the stock headunit if you're willing to pay the money for something like a DQL-8 which will cost more than a good head unit. It will convert line level outputs and EQ back as close as possible to the original source. It will NEVER sound as good as a clean signal. The problem with the DQL-8 and other converters is that you're taking multiple signals that have already been EQ'd, been through an amplifier, had crossovers applied and then trying to convert back to one clean stereo source. It's not exact, it's not the original and you're chaining so many components together that you're just asking for trouble. It's better just to start with the clean source if you want audio quality. It is possible tune a DQL-8 and others to be pretty good; but it will just never be as good as starting with a clean source.

As much as I wanted to retain the stock headunit I had to weigh the pro's and cons of the solution. The only pro with the stock head unit is its physical appearance. By replacing it I got one of the best iPod interfaces, a great bluetooth setup and fantastic SQ with more options for xovers and eq than I'll ever need. The only downside is its look but when I'm driving I'm not looking at the head unit, I'm listening to music and enjoying the open road.

You won't be able to do something like this without investing in it - at least $3K+. My headphone listening setup at home still cost more though so per pound this was a better deal heh.
Appreciate 0