View Single Post
      12-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #85
tarheel91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ESS Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate2046 View Post
You hit the nail on the head and thats why many enthusiasts found the US version of the e36M to be a somewhat half-assed effort. I would put the 1M into the same category. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its a cool car and a lot of fun but it ain't no real M car. It does however fit perfectly with the current direction of the M division as it morphs into AMG. And can somebody explain why they're limiting production of this car but building all the X5M's and X6M's they can churn out?
You missed the point. The M division does not have the resources to make a new engine for each M car. There are several situations in the past where they've simply modified a "normal" engine to produce an M engine (i.e. they can't make a brand spanking new engine just because the S50 doesn't meet emissions in the US). Most of their "unique" engines are simply street applications of race engines. With a scaled back racing operation, it's not hard to see why the M division isn't releasing cars with entirely unique engines left and right. The engines they start with aren't half bad in the first place. I really don't think everyone really needs to complain as much as they do. Hell, the McLaren F1's engine originally started out as a M73.

@chickdr: The S52 has a 20% boost in power versus a 14% increase in displacement compared to the M52. There really isn't much else going on. As I said before, just a few changes. A more aggressive cam and an adjusted lubrication system. That's it.
Appreciate 0