12-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #74
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I was so excited until I heard about the engine. What a letdown! It was inevitable but it's sad to see the M division whoring themselves in every chassis just like AMG did with their brand. An "M" tuned N5x engine... that ain't an original M engine! And with a shameful rev limit too.

This iteration of the 1er really should be called the updated "M Sport" and not a true M car. Until they plop in a real M engine this car is a farce.

I had such high hopes for this car too, and would have considered it over an M3 if ONLY they had the S65 engine in it. I can't wait to see an enthusiast do the transplant.
I agree, the engine is a let down to many hardcore BMW M enthusiasts.

Others will not mind as much as some I guess as it still raises the bar of performance over the 135i in many ways.

This seems the way BMW M department are heading with the new M3, M5 and M6 engines too.

It saddens me to see the traditional naturally aspirated high revving M power-plants die out.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0