08-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoU4 View Post
Rick,

You do know that all of that exercise you got will keep you young... Looks like you probably put on as many miles walking as driving, and other than the hot temps it looks like you had another great day.

Okay I'll take a stab at the car, '65 Ford Fairlane?

It's really neat to see that the locks are still in fairly good shape, are any of the surviving lock areas considered a state sanctioned Historical site? (Protected?)

I saw a couple of items I would be interested in with the picture you took of inside the one room school house... the wood stove of course, and that drafting table!

The house you saw after finding the NPR program on your radio, is a perfect set for a horror movie. You didn't happen to walk around it and peak in, it's kind of a freaky looking place.

Awesome Trip...!

Dave
Dave,

You're right about the exercise. It was a good workout and much-needed.

Regarding the car, my first guess was a 1966 Fairlane. After some Internet research, however, it turns out to be (drumroll, please) a 1965 Ford Custom 500 2-door sedan. It's a close cousin of the Galaxy 2-door hardtop, which is also a close cousin of a '65 Fairlane 2-door.

The entire C & O Canal area is a national park and thus protected. (See http://www.nps.gov/choh/index.htm.) Some of the areas have been kept up beautifully or restored, while others are well off the beaten path. A nice (scalable) map of the entire park is available at http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisi...ad/parkmap.pdf.

As for that gigantic stove, I wonder if it was original to the schoolhouse? It looked fairly large for a relatively small building, so it may have been moved there as part of a renovation effort. Good luck getting it into the trunk of your Z4!

I was tempted to look inside the abandoned house, but I once had a fairly unsettling experience doing that. These days, I mostly look through windows. This one definitely had a high Freak-Out Quotient.

Rick
Appreciate 0