Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

The working theory at this point is that the stock mounts just aren't up to the task of managing the power of this motor nor coping with the stress of powering through high G right turns under heavy braking. Heat just makes matters worse as it increases the stock mount flex. This flex issue would explain why, in many cases, applying pressure to the left while shifting first to second appears to help reduce or eliminate the issue for that particular manifestation of the problem. But "technique" won't save denied shifts or potential miss shifts under high G cornering....hence I think mounts are particularly smart if you track or autox your car.

The transmission, synchros, and etc. probably aren't the issue, especially given that the mounts have "cured" issues for several here. I think we're on to something. We'll have to see how this theory works out as more people install the new mounts, but I'm hopeful we're on to something.

The good news is that it's a 150 dollar max fix; 50 bucks or so if you do it yourself. It may be wise to do this swap while under warranty, as the stiffer mounts will put more stress on motor mount bolts....
It definitely helps and for me, hard left is when the shifts were butter, hard right was crunchy. I did these in stages, mounts first for 2 months and then to the MTL. The MTL has cured the summertime "thin fluid feeling" 100%, mounts made the shifts more precise and predictable. My indie shop also agreed, they showed me they pushed their thumbs into the old mounts, when you see the RE mounts, they are beefy. He did mention he wouldn't recommend the urethane for the street, or at least our streets, he feared vibration and damage similar to using urethane in the control arms.