03-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Well, there's certainly a lot of learning to do by both drivers of the ///M…

It's looks like Direzza StarSpec's will be going on the car. The only question is front/rear sizing. 245/265 plus some negative camber would seem to dial back the understeer a bit.

Any concerns about the diameter difference on the 265/35/18s being close to 3% (2.81% diameter change) vs. stock 255s? It’s “under the line” but… In theory, one could go up to 275/35/18s on the rear, but that would simply preserve the stock stagger (and some have suggested 275 is too wide for the stock rims).

I totally agree about car control in rainy/wet conditions. Like I said in an earlier post, when I first started driving (many years ago) I’d wait for a good rain and find a large open parking lot. It was a great training experience! I’d love to do that with a more structured program. Trying to find a place to do that on my own is problematic, as sadly, “modern” parking lots are chock full of planters and light poles.

I really appreciate the help/feedback—thanks!
The size most of us run on the stock wheels is front:245/40-18 and rear:275/35-18. Here's a diagram I had put together a year or more ago comparing the options available to stock (265/35 rear was never a consideration):
(click for larger version)