View Single Post
      12-23-2008, 06:38 PM   #101
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
This is comical. Yeah, you win the prize for being civilized and your first para I guess is just a slip up to your norm. 14 posts and you're picking a fight with someone? I'm more than happy to discuss things in nothing but a civilized manner. But that doesn't mean I appreciate cowardly personal attacks...completely unprovoked...because someone disagrees with anything I write.

Ultimately, the real world isn't a road corse. You can't set up your gearbox to deliver the perfect terminal speed per gear for every situation you encounter. Sure, a shorter final ratio will cause you to shift more often and you might run out of a gear at a less optimium point. Who cares? Deal with it. That's a trade off for the increased acceleration. But it doesn't change the fact that the car will accelerate quicker with shorter final drive gearing in the vast majority of situations. Put it this way. Two identical Z4Ms other than one has stock final drive and the other a shorter final drive. Which do you think would be quicker around Nurburgring, same driver?

If you prefer to keep your stock gear ratios instead of having the increased acceleration benefit then by all means. Personally I'm keeping my stock ratios as I'm satisfied with the acceleration and don't want to reduce the fuel economy any more than it already is. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the difference shorter gearing makes. In fact, in my last 2 Ducatis I shortened the gearing by adding 2 teeth to the final drive sprocket and the difference in acceleration was amazing. No way would I do that to my MV Agusta as it's too quick as it is. My MV already hits 150 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Anyway...feel free to attack me some more!
If you go back through the thread, you will realise that your attitude was condescending towards my post, before I reacted in the same way to yours. I may have only posted 14 times here, but across bimmerfest (as jsc), bimmer.org (as jsc), zpost and bimmerforums I have well over 1000 posts.

Anyway, it is pointless for me to argue any more with you, I have my opinion, you have yours and as I prefer discussing and debating the points as opposed to arguing about them, I won't add any more to this particular post. In life there are very few binary outcomes, most things are positioned somewhere on an infinitely sliding scale from one extreme to the other, but rarely at the extremes.
Appreciate 0