View Single Post
      10-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #23
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Well, wrong. Engine torque isn't the same as total torque on the road. Torque applied to the road is what makes cars accelerate. Gearing is a torque multiplier, and that is what determines how much torque actually meets the road, which propels the car. With transmission gearing and final drive taken into consideration (tire circumference is negligable), the Z4 M puts down more torque to the ground than the 335i in all 6 gears (135i is different due to smaller tire circumference...the Z4 M bests the torque in 1st thru 4th, dead even in 5th, and slightly under in 6th). Gearing matters!!!

There's also vehicle weight, and the Z4 M is lighter, and makes more horsepower, mostly geared shorter, and revs 1,000 rpms longer. These are all things which aid acceleration. In addition, with the N54 you shift earlier and earlier with each next gear as holding the gears is a disadvantage with the severe power drop. With that, optium speed in gear isn't realized. With the Z4 M, the ideal shift points are at redline with the exception of 5th to 6th, where it's 500 revs sooner. It is impossible for the 335i to out accelerate a Z4 M. Period. However, tire grip is a factor and that point might favor the 335i due to BMWs poor tire choice for the Z4 M. But the Z4 M's LSD should help make up for it.

Stop being clouded by PEAK crank numbers, and quit taking magazine stats (which are climate corrected) as any kind of standardized measurement!!!!

Oh, and I've logged 4,000 miles in a 135i (which is faster than a 335i) and can tell you neither is as quick as the Z4 M. People are too tainted and preconditioned by looking at dyno graphs (which they can't translate to acceleration), and peak hp/torque figures, which are as much marketing as anything else.

Botomline line is the N54 feels quick due to it's turbo rush at low end, which is where most people spend on the rev counter. In order to go fast, you need rpms (more the better) and strong hp/torque on top and that's not N54 territory (torque charts prove this). You also need the right gear ratios to take advantage of everything, and mechanical grip. The only disappointing feature of the Z4 M is the tires, and that's easily rectified.
This is a doubled edged sword here I'm glad there is someone intelligent enough on this board to understand the difference between crank numbers wheel numbers, and actual wheel torque numbers through gearing, not so happy that said person is unable to comprehend that he's arguing with himself though .

The thread is about feeling, the 335 is quicker in this respect. You can trust me when I say I know exactly what you are talking about, a lot more so then you do. Here is a quick graph from a program I wrote in C to illustrate exactly what you are saying, I have been in the war against peak torque dyno readings and comparisons without respect to gearing for a long time now. Glad you could join us, next time though pick a target that doesn't actually know what he's talking about. And next time try and explain it in a way the lemmings can understand. For instance the height on this graph is directly proportional to the acceleration of the car, higher = faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfast View Post
You said...

Make up your mind.
One thing I hate more than people who don't know what they are talking about pretending like they do is people who take things out of context, that was a thread about canyon running you imbecile.