View Single Post
      08-01-2023, 12:05 PM   #9
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Haha...Let me make a few that actually work first then we can talk!

I am currently working on refining the model in Rhino...basically reverse engineering it as much as it can be. The design of this part is quite sculpted in nature, so it can't simply be calipered like other geometric primitive based parts...making post-process CAD work VERY tedious...that oddly enough i find somewhat challenging and fun! The wife is baffled at my self toture.

Even with the almost impossible editability and smoothed out nature of 3D scans (even at 0.1 - 0.2mm resolution) there is something to be said for a resulting model that represents the ACTUAL geometry and positioning of critical features instead of a beautifully modeled part that is close, but still just an approximation.

Assuming I get the print to have enough structural strength with added reinforcing, infill and whatever extra bracing i can put in there I see no reason why it would not function in place of the original!

I will keep you guys posted.

FYI - I have been eyeballing the E83 Android upgrade for use in our E85/E86. I would like to take the dive into the upgrade, but have been worried about the dash trim not fitting up and what that would mean for cars with existing NAV. So, if the grille retaining ring works out I may explore the idea of 3D printing a new dash trim surround to suit that particular unit. Fingers crossed.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android

Last edited by Z4Kevo; 08-01-2023 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling and grammar
Appreciate 4
Steeler2430.00
MVRS4.50
3798j11660.50
jwolf63.00