View Single Post
      10-01-2022, 04:07 AM   #1503
rwdbmwonly
No RWD family car sub 3 series is BMW unworthy
Rep
Drives: 2019 F20 LCI, 2006 E85 Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
With a pure EV platform, the long list of distinctions between FWD and RWD cars (engine placement, transmission placement, front suspension design, etc etc) disappears. You simply get an electric motor on one or the other axis or both.
You're saying clever things as ever. I don't disagree with your points but I do think two other distinct ones remain firmly upright though:
- being pushed rather than pulled
- dividing the tasks of driving and steering over different axles. I know we won't feel any driving forces in the steering wheel on FWD cars in the future because of drive-by-wire but driving a car with the throttle, the weight being shifted to the back during acceleration, all that basics remain despite engineering some solutions for them like active damping and clever braking on a single inner wheel.

From what I hear BMW is defending their FWD choice for lower-end BMWs on Neue Klasse with the statement that those buyers are more used to FWD handling. Besides a lame excuse in my book, this also confirms the FWD character of future NK BMWs and fuels my dislike of them.

People that love RWD BMW's but do buy FWD ones aren't helping in this debate and help cementing the thought at BMW that they are right. More customers desire RWD than they're aware of. Few are vocal about it, sadly. BMW needs to know.

Even so, in the meantime the un-BMW-like F40/F44 will be replaced with similar cars, still FWD and leaving loyal RWD-customers no family car alternative below 3 Series. That's just not right on so many levels.

If BMW won't build us a proper handling swb 5 door with RWD, who will?

If you ask me: the only solution will be to not buy FWD BMWs. Sales numbers are the only thing BMW listens to. There is still time to correct this, but not much I'm afraid.
Appreciate 1
manuelf353.50