View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
dptmachine
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Motion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe

Car entering limp mode

I have been dealing with a gremlin. I got my car back from the shop and on my second drive, just a few miles from home, the car went into what I would call "limp mode". No response to throttle but would idle just fine. The DSC audio indicator and light went on. "I presume the audio beep was paired with the light". No engine lights. I drove it back home in second gear at idle.

Check a few resources online suggesting bad fuel, low voltage, transport mode, and then finally shut-off and restart to reset.

Went out next day, started right up-up no indicators and drove 15-20 miles.
I plugged in my OBDlinx mx blue tooth; no faults listed from memory? Voltage normal

Going out for another drive, OBDlinx left in, and went into limp mode. I shut it off in the middle of back country road, restarted and off again. 400 yrds later same, limp mode with DSC light coming on. Shut down again, and it drove back home.

It had almost 100 miles of dyno time, test drive before I got it back. Fresh gas. I filled with 92-93 non ethanol.

While in my "limp mode", it responds absolutely to no throttle but idles like a champ.

**No engine light codes thrown in all instances. Always DSC

Engine;
300 miles, 288/280 cams, Epic custom tune, Epic Motorsport headers, underdrive pulleys, Bimmerworld CSL air box, new fuel filter

The shop is going to come out to my house in the future with the High end scanner tools and we will go for a drive.

First conversation on the phone with shop briefly mentioned throttle positions sensors and/or related items; at the pedal, airbox, and elsehwhere (dont remember honestly).

Any thoughts?
Gary
2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body; midlife crisis car
Appreciate 0