02-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
I am hoping it's not too loud (or smelly). I love the old school smell of non cat cars, but hoping it's not too much for a daily driven roadster. Crossing my fingers that the sound is not obnoxious - I prefer the intake sound over the exhaust sound. If either smell or exhaust note are issues, I might consider adding some hi flow cats.

I bought a BMW seat heating pad for a Z4 and am going to have that installed below the covering material of the Sparceo seat. It should be plug and play with the existing wiring harness. Hoping it works, other folks have done this without issue, but I might have missed something!

This first phase is the extent of the powertrain upgrades I plan for the foreseeable future. I have suspension upgrades planned for later in the year.

I am really looking forward to the track season!
I ran full catless on my N52 for a bit and after a while the smell started getting to me. It's only most noticeable when you're idling at a light but it reminded me of when I used my motorcycle with a group of friends. 3-4 sport bikes sitting at a light reeking of unburned fuel. But even if you think it's tolerable, just know the person behind you will have it worse lol.

Sound wise, there's certainly louder options relative to what you have but I think any full catless system + aftermarket muffler of choice is going to be loud, with decent share of rasp and drone. Honestly if sound weren't such an issue I would've sprung for the SS x-pipe as well. But maybe I'm just getting too old... for me it came down to SS x-pipe + stock cans or factory X + SS PL's. I went with the latter... in any case, you've been warned =D

For the heating element retrofit, it would be awesome if you or your installer could document the install with pictures, part numbers, etc. This is one mod that isn't well covered on the web.

(Track season can't come soon enough, I've been trying to optimize any free time I have on weekends trying to knock out mods myself!)

Last edited by 3002 tii; 02-22-2020 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
eggman51198.50