View Single Post
      04-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
Justinitus
Simply Handsome...
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 2.0i Sport

Cheap Satnav & Bluetooth Install!!!

Decided to mount my Garmin Nuvi by sticking the supplied round black adhesive disk to the panel underneath the aircon controls. I then attached the satnav mount to this disk rather than directly to the windscreen. Fits there just perfectly and cannot be reached easily from the outside when the roof is down, unlike when stuck to the windscreen! Cheaper than the ProClip mount and IMHO easier to use here as your wrist rests on the transmission tunnel and makes using the touch screen really easy.

I also have the AUX socket fitted inside the glovebox. As I mostly use my iPod in the Zed, I used a 2-into-1 headphone splitter (Maplin, £3.49) to connect one lead to my iPod and a second short iPod lead (Maplin, £1.99) to the headphone socket on my Nuvi. So now I have both iPod and satnav feeding through my Zed's stereo!

I have the satnav and iPod volumes adjusted so that the satnav can be heard above the iPod and can adjust the main volume for both via the main stereo volume control.

As a bonus, my Nuvi has bluetooth built in.... so by connecting my phone to my nuvi I also get bluetooth handsfree booming out through the main car speakers....!! And amazingly the tiny microphone on the front of the nuvi picks up either mine or my passenger's voice no problems at all.... and was recently tested at 65mph with the roof down and it worked fine!

Not a perfect set up.... but how else can I get handsfree bluetooth and satnav for £5.48!!!

Full tank...Z4... empty road... Marvellous!!

Appreciate 0