View Single Post
      06-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
bmwclubracer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

Others can comment with better info, in the meantime I'll share my experience.

I replaced a top motor on a previous Z4...was $1200 if I recall at a reputable shop. Had to sell that car due to unforeseen financial issue.

A few years later got a killer deal on what I thought was a very good condition 3.0Si. And it was, but of course the motor failed. It's a design flaw, the motor sits below the top in a tub that rainwater drains into and out of. Problem is the tub drain gets blocked and your motor spends years sitting in water and eventually rusts out.

I got on my FB local BMW owners page and found a guy that could not only do install but was willing to mount the pump (motor) in the trunk where it's protected from all water. Best part is the guy builds and maintains track/race cars and had a buddy who just gutted and built up a Z4. So I got the used pump for $150 and he estimated installing it in the trunk would add about $75 over his reasonable price for replacing the pump in standard location. It requires a little bit of cutting in the trunk area.

When I got the car it took the top maybe 20 seconds to drop and raise, I found that acceptable but it was obvious to me now that the pump was already failing. Now the pump completes operation in either direction in about 10 seconds, night and day. Yes, it's a used pump but I think it will be just fine now that it's dry. If it fails, I'm sure I can buy a new pump and replace it myself since it's in a spot that easy to get to. Best part is you can only tell it's in the trunk if you looked at two Z4s side by side with the trunk open. There's just a slight bulge on the left side of the trunk, he even wrapped it in carpet to disguise and protect it. I HIGHLY recommend relocating the pump to the trunk. It might be DIY but I didn't have the tools, skill, or the time. You tube it or somebody will post the professional write up.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0