01-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Hold on. We don't know which "Z4" OP's applying this to. If it's an E89 it might work, as that shares the front steering and knuckle from the E9x. The 135i/235i 6 pot Brembo is a VERY popular upgrade for the E9x 335i folks, even though technically it isn't an upgrade (at least not in my eyes).
Correct sir. Yes, I'm referring to the E85/E86 Z4M...I've personally been down this road with a set of M4 calipers which are basically the same as the F21/F22 4 piston calipers and the issue isn't the caliper...the issue is the rotor hat that on the rotors one would need to run...the hat is deep or has a very high offset. On our E85/E86, the hat on the rotor is very shallow...so when one tries to mount the F22 370mm rotor or a 380mm rotor off an M4, the rotor ends up touching the suspension or steering arm. So the solution to this would be to build a spacer that would sit in between the hub and the inside of the rotor hat to space out the rotor. One would also need a custom bracket to mount the calipers to the car to align everything. Then also one needs to consider that spacing out the rotor to get this to work would cause the front wheels to be pushed out as well. Other solution I tired was to combine a front rotor off a E90 M3...same issue...touches the suspension due to it being a deeper hat then what the E85/E86 has...then I tried a stoptech 380mm X 32mm rotor as they have much shallower hats off a stoptech BBK built for Z4M E85/E86...problem with this solution that is instantly obvious is the rotor surface of stoptech rotor annulus is much smaller than the F22 caliper would accept. It just becomes too much way too many problems that one has to solve to pull this off...and I run a machining shop so I have the tools to solve them and it's just not worth it in my opinion....hence why I just ordered the stoptech BBK that has been designed for our cars.

It can be done...if one considers all these things I mention and has access to a machining shop as the parts to make this happen as far as I know no one has for sale.

Just my $0.02

Cheers.

Last edited by Eau_Rouge111; 01-10-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0