09-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #236
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LangRacingDevelopment View Post
It would have been pretty unusual to be able to have a good enough block to use the stock bore, that's pretty uncommon. I've tried it before and ended up with high oil consumption and had to tear down the thing and bore/hone to the next size up.

I've got a big custom order in with Mahle to make a run of 87.25 and 87.5mm 11.5CR pistons for all the stock rebuilds going on. I for one am getting tired of only having 1 rebuild on every block. Blocks are getting way to hard to find these days.
I don't know if this block had previously been rebuilt, and I honestly do not know the entire history of the donor vehicle. Which has always been a point of concern for me.

Has there been anything that can prevent the extra oil consumption outside of honing to the next size? Should I recommend to the shop to use a set of larger pistons? Would it be reasonable to go through the original block that I had purchased from BMW even though it went through nearly the same failure that the original block had? (Just probing for constructive criticism).