View Single Post
      08-01-2016, 12:03 PM   #90
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

This past weekend I went once again to my favorite track at buttonwillow.
Unfortunately it was 110 degrees so I could only do 2 3 hot laps each session and then the tires would get very greasy.
What i noticed compared to nt01.
Maxxis rc-1, buy it in winter time. They are amazing in cold weather and is little faster than nt-01. However on hot weather, get nt01....they are faster than maxxis, and also takes heat much better than the maxxis.
With nt01 in summer, I could do 5 laps doing similar lap time, but with maxxis after 3 laps, I was always 2 seconds slower.
I changed my spring rates from 500/600 to 400/550 this time.
with 500/600 I was feeling better grip using +1 compression....going for +3, my car would skid too early, which made me think that I was still relying more on springs than on dampers.
First session I decided to leave +1 compression with the new rates just to see how the car would feel. Car was so wobbly and scary on fast corners, which made me rly happy actually cuz now I would be able to play around with the comp bumping up more. I increased compression to +4 and the car felt rly rly good...very stable, but car was skidding a little bit, so third session, I changed to +3.....car felt just the best since I got the car....I only felt the need of a front sway bar because on braking points, my car was a little unstable, maybe due to soft springs? So maybe the front sway bar will balance the soft springs next time.
I still think I can play around with the settings more, but using maxxis on 110 degrees, I was able to beat my PB of 1:58.5 that I did when it was 70 degrees with same tires, so I am very happy that I went with softer springs.
The drift moments were mostly after 3 laps, and also because I made some mistakes lifting the throttle mid corner.....Another thing to mention, with softer springs car feels easier to handle....gives me more time to react to oversteer...going from 600/750 to 400/550, feels like im oversteering in slow montion now lol.
The only downside of 400/550 were braking points that was hard to keep car stable, but I think I will solve this with sway bar.
enjoy!

This is a video that my friend got from my drifting on Phil hill.
Appreciate 1
zurus48.50