View Single Post
      11-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

How the heck do you remove the lower bumper grill?!

After 9+ years of ownership, and various high speed activities with it, the front end of the coupe looks like it needs a repaint bad. As in bad enough I can't even stand it. Besides the scrapes on the fangs, the amount of sand blasting at 120+mph by staying glued to the car in front has left the bumper looking in really bad shape.

I took off the bumper Sunday to prepare it for a repaint by the local trusty bodyshop, got the emblem, kidney grill, headlight washer cover, and the reflectors (did break one, but no one will notice when I glue it back) off with relative ease, but the lower grill was nearly impossible to remove, although it look the most simple/intuitive of all the parts besides the emblem.

TIS and looking at the back side of the bumper, it looks to me like you simply push the tabs up and the grill should slide off? Is there any magic trick to this? The tabs seem to be too close together, I can't get enough leverage to push them off individually.

I'd like to figure out how to do this before next Saturday so I can drop it off at the bodyshop over the holiday weekend and pick it up in a few weeks once it's all done and cured, so I can put a layer of 3M paint defender on.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0