View Single Post
      11-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Under Cowl Drain Missing? e85 Z4M Water Leak

I recently purchased a low mileage, one owner, 2006 Z4M. The car was sold, I believe, because it has a leak under the carpet on the driver's side that couldn't be resolved. I think I have found the source of the leak, but I need confirmation. I'm hoping someone will do me a huge favor and check to see if you have a rubber drain in a particular location.

Under the plastic cowl, near the center of the windshield, is where the wiper motor is mounted. Under the wiper motor is a drain. I believe there should be a rubber or plastic grommet with a rubber drain pipe that fits in the drain. On my car, that drain tube and grommet are missing. I think it was left off when the car was built. Instead of a drain, I have a large silver dollar sized hole in the metal. A cutout in the firewall material rests against the underside of this hole. My hunch is that water is flowing out of this hole and flowing between the metal and firewall material where it makes its way under the carpet in the driver's footwell. The firewall material felt damp when I ran my finger between it and the metal of the cowl area.

Below is a picture (sorry it's dark and rainy here today). This is looking along the driver side brace and brake fluid holder. The arrow is pointing to a microfiber towel I have pushed down into the cowl drain hole.

The favor: Can someone look in this area on your e85 Z4 and tell me if you see a small black drain tube where the grey towel is located? If possible, a picture of this same area on your Z4 would be very helpful. Thank a million!

Below is a link to the parts I think are missing. #8 and #9.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=64_1365
Attached Images

Appreciate 0