View Single Post
      10-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #24
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

So It's been a month and I've gone through a ton of turmoil trying to find a solution for the car. Turns out I've gone with the most expensive option of all, and I may have burned a bridge along the way.

I looked into the following:
- Buying a new/used lower casting and using my old head (old as in 65k miles old)
- Buying a used S54 altogether
- Parting out from random cars around the internet
- Buying a new short block from BMW... and reusing my upper.

Last option, the most expensive of them all, has been my decision. It's taken me two months worth of research and waiting on bids. Literally scouring every single day to try to find a viable and less expensive option but that just hasn't been the case. The vehicle has been outside for some time and it's concerned me every minute that it's left there. There are some rainy months ahead and hail is known to fall randomly in Texas, although it generally holds off until the spring.

I've pulled the car from the shop (as of today) that I was having do a lot of the work and I feel may have caused the failure as I did my rod bearings with them last. They took the upper apart and put it on a crate for me after they removed the engine from the car. I have Mario with Active Auto Werks in Austin moving forward who will not only place the car indoors but will also clean and take care of everything from here on out. Rebuilding to putting it back into the car which I was going to have to perform in two different steps at two different shops. The new lower block should be coming in sometime in the middle of this month and he will be cleaning everything up until then. It's a hefty bill, but she'll live again and have essentially 0 miles on the engine when all is complete.

Dear lord has this been a wild ride. The things we do for love... right?

If I get some more photos and whatnot along the way I'll be sure to share. Thank you everyone for all your support in-so-far.
Appreciate 0