Thread: Water leak
View Single Post
      02-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #11
Varinn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Some progress. Removing the carpet was quite the task, luckily a fellow mechanic buddy of mine dropped by and we found a way. I wasn't keen on cutting it, but the alternative was removing the dash and I don't have the space or time for that sort of work.

I am lucky enough to have an upholstery cleaning vac, so we removed most of the water then used my buddies heater fan to dry out the interior. The carpets are currently sitting in a bathtub with the fan aimed at them and drying quite quickly.

When spraying in the corner near where the door/windshield are we get water. We found that it comes in when spraying either directly down the small triangular opening at the top front corner of the door, or when we spray the bottom of the glass it runs down into the hood's hinge pocket/cowl. The cowl itself is clear, though I feel that the little plastic clips on the cowl cover are somewhat suspect. I will replace them tomorrow.

Speaker labeled here to give a reference for where the camera is. It looks to me that the pocket where the water is coming out of is roughly in line with the hinge plate for the door.

We removed and checked the electrical connection and applied a thin coating of sealant to the grommet. This won't be the source, it's too low to be the cause of the leak. Circled in red are the two areas where we were sort of focusing the water spray, BOTH seem to cause the leak as far as we can tell.

In this picture you can see somewhat where I am talking about spraying water. The hood pocket leads to the underside of the cowl, as well as on the glass. Any water getting under the cowl cover SHOULD run down the drain, but I'm wondering if maybe the gaskets on the clips are worn out and it's getting into the inner shell through one. In the dark upper left hand corner you can see where we were putting water down onto the door hinge, but it's a shit photo.
Appreciate 0